Hackers on your site

9 Posts
5 Users
18 Likes
Williamportor
(@williamportor)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hello - I like your site, but for the past 2 weeks I've gotten a warning from my Norton program. It says:

Malicious site 

Domain Req 22

I'll stay off of this site for a few weeks in the hopes this get's resolved, if this persists however, I'll have to leave for good.  

Posted : 30/09/2021 8:34 am
Evolvingyourman
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman)
Famed Member Admin

Sorry to hear that, I don't know what it might be. When I test the site with Norton it says it is fine. Does the error have any other information?

Advertisement

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=evolvingyourman.com

Posted : 30/09/2021 9:12 am
True42
(@true42)
Reputable Member

"a warning from my Norton program"

I get a lot of requests from people to help fix their computers. The first thing that I always do is remove anything from Norton, McAfee and Symantec. FWIW - Those things open enormous security holes, and do nothing to protect you. It's a scam.

Posted : 30/09/2021 9:51 am
Evolvingyourman
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @true42

I get a lot of requests from people to help fix their computers. The first thing that I always do is remove anything from Norton, McAfee and Symantec. FWIW - Those things open enormous security holes, and do nothing to protect you. It's a scam.

I wondered that. I bought a new laptop about a month ago and it came with a free version of mcafee. That free version kept asking me to upgrade to web security and antivirus and eventually I got tired of all of the popup notifications and uninstalled the whole program. Kev suggested that I just use the one that comes with windows. Which one do you use?

Posted : 30/09/2021 11:04 am
Deleted User
(@deleted-user)
Honorable Member

I have Malwarebytes and of course the windows security that comes with windows and it has kept us safe.  We have our settings set for very conservative to get maximum protection and have gotten no warnings at this site.   

Posted : 30/09/2021 2:17 pm
Evolvingyourman
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @steph

I have Malwarebytes and of course the windows security that comes with windows and it has kept us safe.  We have our settings set for very conservative to get maximum protection and have gotten no warnings at this site.   

Thanks. Mcaffee detected my bank as a fraudulent site once so it is probably just something like that. I'm sure they will figure it out eventually especially if their own website says that it is fine. I'll have to agree with true42's distrust of Norton for sending mixed messages.

Posted : 30/09/2021 2:40 pm
Corey
(@corey)

Nothing wrong or suspicious on my side, there doesn't look like any weird / unusual domain is getting called from here (I see calls to Google Tag Manager, WordPress, Juicy Ads, Tenor, Patreon, Twitter and Facebook). @williamportor, do you remember the offending domain alongside the warning?

Posted : 30/09/2021 8:16 pm
Williamportor
(@williamportor)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@corey 

No - I wrote down everything that was on the Norton warning. I also noticed there was no warning from Norton when I was writing this, so perhaps it was just a temporary thing. 

Posted : 01/10/2021 7:57 am
True42
(@true42)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @evolvingyourman_ivcr4j
Posted by: @true42

I wondered that. I bought a new laptop about a month ago and it came with a free version of mcafee. That free version kept asking me to upgrade to web security and antivirus and eventually I got tired of all of the popup notifications and uninstalled the whole program. Kev suggested that I just use the one that comes with windows. Which one do you use?

There are a few different ways that your computer can be infected. In general, though, the three ways to get an infection: First, that the OS has a vulnerability that hasn't been patched, and thus your computer can be tricked into taking code over the wire and running it (that's how the virus gets in). The second way is that there is some other piece of software that you're running that introduces a new security hole, and like the first example, the result is that your computer can be tricked into accepting code over the wire and running it. The third way (the most common way) is that people are tricked into installing viruses (or programs containing viruses).

The Windows Defender thing is pretty good at dealing with most of it. The most important thing is to not install untrusted software. If you don't know for sure where you're downloading the software from, then it's not safe.

Unfortunately, it would take a book to explain all of the nuances of what I mean, but you get the general idea, I hope.

Posted : 02/10/2021 9:58 pm
nevertoolate, Emma, nevertoolate and 3 people reacted

Advertisement

Share:

Advertisement