The use of the term bull.

13 Posts
8 Users
36 Likes
Mstara
(@mstara)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I have long been aware of the term 'bull' when used to mean a more dominant man in non monogamous relationships.  These men are also often referred to as Alpha males. Now I'd never given either of these terms much thought except that Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet.

However I spotted this the other day and I'm now wondering if this is why those two terms are interchangeable?

https://marthajefferson.tumblr.com/post/635441327703752704/the-origin-of-the-letter-from-the-documentary

Posted : 24/11/2020 1:10 am
Subhubphx
(@subhubphx)

Posted by: @mstara

I have long been aware of the term 'bull' when used to mean a more dominant man in non monogamous relationships.

Interesting.  Thank you for sharing.  I always thought that the term "bull" was merely just used as a reference to the man that a wife chose to have sex with that wasn't her husband and not necessarily an indication of dominance over the husband.  Clearly that is often the case though.  Labels ... necessary and confusing at the same time.

Posted : 24/11/2020 7:42 am
Soundsofdelight
(@soundsofdelight)
Estimable Member

I was a bit peeved to have missed this short series but knowing the Beeb they'll be repeating it soon enough.

Advertisement

I'm not sure the terms alpha and bull are wholly interchangeable. In nature whilst we get bull elephants, walruses, whales (not Wales), seals etc., the list goes on, these males tend to be dominant, are the patriarchs of a specific family group and take their responsibilities seriously in keeping the group safe and together. They are alphas but being males we call them bulls. They might be big but they're not thick.

In many other groups of animals, such as wolves or even meerkats, we get both alpha males and alpha females. They are the top dogs sharing responsibilities between them keeping the group together. All others within the group are submissive to them until age, ill health or injury tempts a young contender to challenge them.

In human society, we don't have alpha males. We just get control-freaks with nothing between their ears, over-active turkey giblets between their legs and full of nothing but Bull.

Posted : 24/11/2020 9:52 am
Mstara
(@mstara)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

You both could be right of course - I just thought it was an interesting coincidence and wondered if there was a connection.

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:17 am
Subhubphx
(@subhubphx)

@soundsofdelight @mstara

I think the word bull is used because it is easier and quicker than saying "the guy who fucks my wife".  ? 

Posted : 25/11/2020 8:42 am
Gallifreystyle
(@gallifreystyle)
Eminent Member

@subhubphx @soundsofdelight @mstara 

Bull definitely has brevity on its side! But I always thought it was chosen specifically because of a bull's role in farming. Since the job of the bull is to fertilise many cows, not to mention the fact that it is big and dangerous, the association with strength and virility is clear. Also, by choosing such an animal association I think it reinforces the idea that the bull is only expected to have sex with the woman, without experiencing any of the other intimate connections that the primary partner enjoys. To me, the term bull in this sense is specific to cuckold style relationships rather than just dominant males more generally.

I think what the symbolism above really illustrates is how primal this association of bulls and strength/potency is. It is quite fascinating.

Posted : 25/11/2020 9:56 am
nevertoolate, subhubphx, nevertoolate and 3 people reacted
Subhubphx
(@subhubphx)

Posted by: @gallifreystyle

To me, the term bull in this sense is specific to cuckold style relationships rather than just dominant males more generally.

Completely agree, unless the relationship with the "bull" is also a developing emotional relationship.

Posted : 25/11/2020 10:05 am
Emma
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman_ivcr4j)
Famed Member Admin

To me, the term bull is the opposite of cuck and infers sexual superiority. We don't use either term in our household because I feel they are related to the cuckold "world" which is not what we practice.

Posted : 09/12/2020 12:28 pm
nevertoolate, subhubphx, nevertoolate and 3 people reacted
Missknowsbest
(@missknowsbest)

I know a male in the "cuckolding community", and his primary use of the term "bull" is in relation to actually impregnating (by request) the wife of the cuckolded husband.  In this he has had some success.

Posted : 17/12/2020 8:52 pm
Emma
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman_ivcr4j)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @missknowsbest

I know a male in the "cuckolding community", and his primary use of the term "bull" is in relation to actually impregnating (by request) the wife of the cuckolded husband.  In this he has had some success.

Wow that certainly takes things to the next level.

Posted : 17/12/2020 9:26 pm
Subhubphx
(@subhubphx)

Posted by: @evolvingyourman_ivcr4j

Wow that certainly takes things to the next level

Wow indeed.  Does it ever!

Posted : 18/12/2020 5:24 am
Nevertoolate
(@nevertoolate)
Trusted Member

We used the term "lover." Raw sex might fit the bull persona, but lover implies a deeper connection which my wife needed and I enjoyed witnessing the positives in her self fulfillment and a better marriage for us.

Posted : 28/11/2021 9:21 pm
Jessie
(@jessie)
Eminent Member

Warning: heavy stuff ahead

I believe bull comes from farming - it's the animal that it's going to reproduce. Usually farmers have a bull - a good and healthy animal to impregnate the females, and the rest of the cattle gets castrated (this way the lady cows don't get pregnant with their low quality sperm).

So yeah, cuckolds decided to use bull to represent this kind of sexual competition.

Also, there's the bull market, when the markets are strong and the stocks are going up, as opposed to the bear market, when stocks are going down (cause bears attack from top to bottom)

This post was modified 2 years ago by jessie

Posted : 13/12/2021 8:09 pm

Advertisement

Share:

Advertisement