Alpha/beta male

4 Posts
4 Users
12 Likes
Ruined-Julie
(@ruined-julie)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I've seen this coding passed a few times either here or on many other sites.
As I have already expressed my own husband is very believer in this male classification, being moreover persuaded that he is a beta male. (Strangely I have never heard of an alpha or beta female?).

Yet the more I read, the less convinced I am. Maybe it's because of my strong character or my propensity to want to manage things, however I have never found flirty men, sure of them, attractive. You know which men I mean? The ones who call you "baby" and think that coming to talk to you is enough to get you into bed (OMG I could killed them).
In fact, I don't think there's any such classification. All men are equal and all tastes are in nature. Some like their macho men, others like them more introverted. Does that make them beta males? I don't think it does.

I'd like to know what your point of view is on the subject.

Posted : 17/08/2020 7:05 am
Vikter
(@vikter)
Estimable Member

There is certainly a precedent for Alpha/Beta male roles with the animal kingdom(A larger male bear gets the mate and the food, the smaller get the leftovers etcetera). I cannot say with certainty that it does or does not mean humanity has evolved passed that point. Humans seem to be a mixed bag on this one, introspective enough to acknowledge the animalistic reasons we do things but rarely strong enough to fight those instincts for long atleast not alone.

I would not say being introverted or extroverted equal alpha or beta. Just whether you meet then at a social gathering or in a quite park. 

Advertisement

Posted : 17/08/2020 12:11 pm
Evolvingyourman
 Emma
(@evolvingyourman)
Famed Member Admin

I think that most "alpha men" in relationships would prefer to play a supportive role to their woman but are afraid to do so because of connotations about their manhood. It is hard wired for men to want to support their mate and of course there are exceptions and some sick twisted individuals that are prone to domestic violence. Those men are not alpha males. Men who display courage, integrity and thoughtfulness are the more evolved. 

I've had some email correspondence with athletes, police officers, politicians and men who hold powerful positions in companies. All of those positions require them to assert dominance and command authority but these men are genuinely interested in being of service to their wives. They want to provide a relationship where she feels safe, supported and loved. 

A powerful man does not define himself by being a macho jerk, he defines his true power with his actions, love and support for his partner. We all play roles in life; some are dominant and some are submissive. When a police officer pulls you over for speeding? Very few of us take a dominant role in that scenario. We are all actors and actresses, we play different roles in different situations. In some relationships, a man may be the dominant but with a stronger female he may be more submissive. We gravitate to a certain role in a relationship but dominance nor submissiveness dictates an alpha, beta, gamma, delta or epsilon male. 

We are just men and women and we do stuff. Interacting with each other can be difficult and interacting constructively can be even more difficult. On the flip side of this, I also do not think there are alpha or beta women. I think even the most sterotypically meek and subservient woman can be dominant in some aspects of the relationship. 

Posted : 17/08/2020 4:27 pm
Jmn
 jmn
(@jmn)
Eminent Member

The alpha/beta distinction might make sense in the animal world, where a male’s survival and mating prospects are largely determined by his physical strength compared to other males. However, in modern human society, a man can’t go over to his neighbour’s house, beat him up, eat his food, and take his wife as his own. Men who could be said to fall into the “beta male” group can be successful and happily married, and men who are “alpha males” can be poor and lonely. Beyond that, unlike female animals, women have sophisticated and diverse preferences that often go beyond who can beat-up whom.

If people draw a distinction between people based on a given trait, or group of traits, then the classification exists, whether or not it serves any useful purpose. There are often a variety of words people use to label a given group, some neutral, others loaded. While we can—and many do—divide men into groups according to whether they possess supposedly alpha traits or beta traits, it doesn’t really make sense to view the distinction as the same hierarchical one that exists in the animal world, and, therefore, it’s somewhat misleading to use the same value-laden terms. So do beta males exist? Sure, but even if you find the distinction useful, “beta male” is just one of many labels, many of which are positive, that are used to describe the same type of person.

Posted : 18/08/2020 4:48 pm

Advertisement

Share:

Advertisement